Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Wow - Great Eats in Austin!

Did I say Great Eats? What I meant was GREAT EATS! I'm in Austin for a couple of days for and Ed Tech conference. We had a lunch break yesterday and I wound up at this South American food restaurant that I've walked past dozens of times before when up here for conference - Dona Emilias. I ordered the stuffed chicken breast and didn't think any more about it. I fully expected to get the same thing you normally get at this type of place.What I got instead for my unbelievably reasonable $8 (considering the quality of the food) was a delicious and even beautiful meal!

Let me explain something at this point - my relationship with food is VERY utiliarian. I really don't dare much about eating. My style of eating could best be described as the "rushed disposal" technique. I'd take a pill instead if I could and enjoy the time I recovered. Consequently, I don't differentiate much between food quality. Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Friay's, et al mark the high end of my dining and McDonalds, etc. mark the low end and I have pretty much the same reaction to both ends - ambivalence.

For me to rave about cuisine, is not just rare, but completely out of character. I normally don't care about food, but this meal managed to break through my indifference and leave me wide-eyed. I'd love to give you a thorough break down of the flavors and textures that made it so great, but because of paragraph #2, I'm ill-equipped to discuss the topic intelligently. Let me just leave it at WOW! I mean it ... WOW!

1 comment: