Thursday, October 04, 2007

October Already? ... 2007 Already?

Wow, life is speeding up every day. I've hit that point where I'm remembering things from 10 years ago like they were yesterday. All my friends talk about it. Oddly enough though, kids talk about it too! I overheard a high school student saying something to the same effect the other day! It can only be explained by acceleration. We're moving faster and faster every day.

Maybe it is because we are running out of new things. Maybe we only really register time when we're learning or experiencing something new. That doesn't explain how fast my kiddos are growing, though! That's all new and it is just roaring by.

I noted to Cheryl the other day that I'm starting to "get" what a mid-life crisis is about. You start putting stuff off in college thinking "I just need to get established". Then its "just need a job", "a promotion", "a wife...family..." and suddenly you're staring at a looming 40th birthday. It stops you for a sec - just long enough for those dreams and ambitions you've been trailing along to hit you square in the back of the head. When they do, you've got a conflict. You've never dismissed them, but you have outgrown many of them. Now you've got to reconcile them. So what has it taught me? Live your dreams or dismiss them but don't drag them along unfulfilled.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Gabe, You are exactly right! I find myself continuing to say,"When this happens, when that happens." I completely agree with you...Live or Dismiss, but don't Drag your Dreams! Very well said!!