Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Cabinet Trim Done

This just a quick update on a project I've been working on - Julia's Toy Cabinet. If you want to go back to the original post, you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about. I finished the trim and the bulk of the sanding yesterday. The cabinet now is ready for paint! The back is not shown because it won't go on until after the whole thing is painted, literally the last step.

The trim has been a fun part of the job. After milling a long piece of rough cut poplar down to 1½" by ¾", I needed to put a profile on it - shape it to be prettier. I set my great little Porter-Cable Router in my homemade router table and chucked up a small ogee bit (pictured). I ran the wood past the bit on both sides to give myself a good size piece of molding. Yesterday, I used my table saw to cut the angles and get the molding ready to go on. After glueing and nailing them on, the holes and gaps were puttied. Later I sanded the whole thing down and it looks good. Here are a few detail pics:



1 comment:

Karen said...

Gabe,
I am SO impressed with your woodworking skills! That cabinet looks GREAT!! I know Cheryl is proud of you! Can't wait to see the finished product.