Saturday, September 01, 2007

Crossloop is Cool!

I do a fair amount of Tech Support both on and off the job and let me tell you it can be grueling.
  • "Are you on the desktop?"
  • "Yes."
  • "Click the blue button."
  • "I can't see any blue button."
  • "Are you sure you are on the desktop?"
  • "Yes! I'm sitting right here!"
  • "You're sitting?"
And so it goes. 90% of my time is spent trying to figure out what they are seeing! If I could see their screen it would be so much easier, but up until now that would have required a significant amount of networked software. Until Now!

I was introduced to a wonderful piece of free software the other day! Crossloop. It is a tiny download. It install in seconds and is brain-dead simple to use. Case Study: Cheryl called me from home at work with an odd question about MS Word. We couldn't figure it out, so I said, "Hey, click the blue & green circle icon and tell me what the numbers are in the box." I opened CL on my machine and typed in the numbers. Bingo! In 5-10 seconds, I'm looking at her screen and controlling her mouse and keyboard and Cheryl is amazed.

If you're a little intimidated about whether you could actually work this, here is the test:
  • Can you "double-click" an icon?
  • Can you read up to 12 numbers aloud?
If you answer yes to both, you're in good shape! See you on-screen soon!

BTW - this software will now be a mandatory install for any family members calling me for tech support! :-)
Get Crossloop at: http://www.crossloop.com

No comments: