Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Overheard at the Landes House

This is a funny one from the Christmas break. At one point, I noticed I was sitting in the kitchen with Isaac, my mother and my pappaw (mom's dad). Pappaw noticed it, too, and we commented on how neat it was to have four generations together.

I tried to explain it to Isaac: "Pappaw is Ma's father; Ma is my mother; I am your father; and you are my son."

The wheels turned for a bit and then he looked back and asked, "Can you say that in Spanish?"

A little background: we often check out books at the library that have spanish translations or words in them. I can't for the life of me tell where that connection came from, though!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Isaac, Isaac, Isaac...that boy is such a sharp little cookie!! Keep up with the Overheard's...I LOVE reading the funny things your kids say! Oh, and BTW, since I have told the Julia-Amen story to Jared, he has now been saying Amen after he lets out some bodily gas! We've now learned to take the Amen as a WARNING not to walk to close behind him!! :-)

Chattyb said...

Karen, I missed the "Amen story." But, I heard Isaac's reply to Gabe's explanation of generations. If I'd been sitting I would have fallen out of my chair laughing and in utter disbelief that he could utter such a witty one-liner. I doubt that he was aware of the genius of that moment; his timing, delivery and expression were pure "Gabe Landes 101." Yep, a chip off the ole block.