Sunday, January 13, 2008

Our Newest Addition - Oliver!

I've completely missed the window of anouncing our new puppy, Oliver, but I still want to make my own introductions (Cheryl pre-empted me!). I did have the priviledge of going to get him the other day - a flying four hour, round trip drive to Columbus where I met the breeder for the hand off. Oliver wasn't "Oliver" at that point but, he was just as cute. He rode without a whimper all the way home.

The Introduction - The introduction was a blast, the kiddos followed clues around the house leading to the big reveal at the garage door! They were shocked, stunned, giddy, apprehensive and even concerned with where we got him (Isaac was anyway). What a great memory

The Name - My brother Matt answered our question about good names saying that dogs tend to 'name themselves' once you meet them and get to see their character. He was right. In order to avoid letting Isaac come up with one on his own - which would have inevitably led to a dog named "Dog" or "tu-tu" or "na-na" - we had some names thought up ahead of time for him to choose from. But, all the names we had prepared immediately fell by the wayside. Within a few hours, Cheryl had mentioned "Oliver" and it stuck. It fits perfectly both his regal appearance and playful attitude.

I had my reservations about a dog. But on the whole I'm really enjoying this. It is a blast to have a dog around the house - it brings back a lot of memories from my own growing up years. I'm happy that we took the time to find a good dog that will fit our lifestyle too! Low maintenance, just the right size, smart and loads of fun with kids!

BTW - if you are interested in a Boston Terrier, Pug or Chihuahua we know a good breeder!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

where's the video?

Chattyb said...

He's a cutie--Isaac, that is! Well, Oliver's kind of cute too. Remember the scripture, "Train up a dog in the way that he should go, and he won't have to stay outdoors at Ma's." Ha, just kiddin! I'm excited for you.

Happy Birthday, Isaac. It was so good to talk to you and Julia today. I love you four (uh, five), Ma

Karen said...

Yeah! Where's the video?
WE WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO! WE WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO!
Gabe...not to pressure you or anything, but we'd really like to see the video! ;-)