Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Little Quiet Time

I'm not the most disciplined man in the world in any realm of my life. Spiritual disciplines included, I have to confess to a high degree of 'flux' in all of my routines. Still I know the value of quiet time and try to get some in before leaving for work as often as possible.

Coincidentally, Isaac often gets up early. We normally send him back to his room to lay down. But, recently I've started letting him come into the living room with me. The understanding, though, that I try to make with him is that mornings are for Quiet Time. I'll let him come out 15 mins early, but he has to spend that time looking through his picture Bible. Somewhat to my surprise he has accepted it readily. The photo was one I snapped just before sitting down with him at the end to pray. We pray together on these mornings.

If my greatest fear is that I'll not lead him properly, somehow cripple him emotionally or, worse, spiritually, my greatest joy is when I see him growing, maturing and best of all moving toward a spiritual life.

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Gabe,
That is the sweetest insight into your loving relationship with Isaac and the wonderful Christian example that you are setting for him! I loved that blog!!
~Karen

Chattyb said...

This is a very special blog, Gabe. I believe that the angels are smiling and that God is being blessed. God doesn't expect perfection from us in anything we attempt. He knows your heart, and He knows that your highest priority, and Cheryl's, is to lead these two precious souls into an intimate relationship with Him. As He watches your efforts from Heaven, I believe that He is very pleased with what He sees and will bless your efforts.

In raising my three sons, my on-going prayer was, "God, please redeem my mistakes." It is evident to me that He honored that prayer because I could not ask for three better sons. Since I am more aware than anyone of things that I could have done differently or better, I just have to believe that God honored my prayers and protected you three from any shortcoming I had. I thank Him for the sheer joy I experienced in seeing you and your brothers grow up and become Godly men. I thank Him now for allowing me to see each of your families walk with Him and to see each of you pass on a legacy of faith to your children.

I wish all children in the world could be as loved and protected as Isaac, Julia, and Savannah. My fourth grandchild will also experience that same blessing.

One last comment, and then I'll close. I think one aspect of childrearing that you and Cheryl exhibit is "purpose." That's in addition to all the obvious ones. I am reminded of a scripture that talks about Jesus being, I believe, on a donkey headed to Jerusalem. The scripture struck me in its simplicity. It says, that suddenly Jesus "set His face toward Jerusalem." Have you ever had a scripture just jump off the pages. This one did. Jesus was teaching as He rode along; probably people were reaching out to Him, and talking to Him. Then, He suddenly realized that He was in the final countdown, that there was no turning back and that the cross was getting closer. To have the strength to fulfill what lay ahead, He would have to marshal all of His strength of "purpose." It was His humanity saying to His divine nature, I need to focus now on staying this course that is swiftly approaching. You may know that scripture, and if you recognize it, please tell me where it is. I've looked before, and perhaps in a different translation, it may not be worded closely enough that I would recognize it.

Anyway, that verse has spoken to my soul several times over the last several decades. Some things are so important, so significant that we must focus all our attentions on it to see it through. That's 16 to 18 years of focus. In childrearing, you must stay focused on the thing that is the most important--to bring your child to Christ Jesus. You set your face to that purpose. In our culture there are so many distractions, so many demands on our attention. This purpose is overriding; it is imperative to keep it in front of you at all times. If I am making this sound heavy or burdensome, I don't mean to because it is a joyous and exciting "purpose."

I am preaching to the choir. You two are fully aware of all that I have said. For me, it is enjoyable reminding myself of the experience of motherhood. Thank you, Lord.

Cheryl said...

I love you Gabe! Isaac and Julia are truly blessed to have you as their father.