Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Armed and (Not so) Dangerous

I never win anything. Ever since Ed McMahon stopped sending me huge letters about the millions I (may) have already won, I haven't even tried to win anything on a regular basis. I don't play the lottery because I have at least a high school understanding of math and statistics, so I'm definitely not going to win at that. But, otherwise, I don't win the door-prizes at benefit dinners. The prize randomly stuck to the bottom of the seat of one lucky attendee is never stuck to my seat. I don't even happen on really good deals as often as some people I know do! But that changes NOW!

About 2 weeks ago I took my kiddos to Academy to pick up a couple of things. I was approached by a guy who may have been college age. He asked me to buy a raffle ticket. I said, we'll see (which is shopper for, "No!") I did my shopping but he came back! He was friendly with the kids so I asked him what group this was for. I turns out that the organization was a Christian group that shares the gospel with youth through the venue of hunting and fishing. The gig seemed good enough and I bought a $20 ticket with a long list of prizes - all guns - fully knowing this was a donation. I expected nothing!

Cheryl calls me at work yesterday and says, "It may be raining outside but the sun is shining on you!"
"What?"
"You won!"
"What!?"
"Some guy just called and said you won some raffle. He said you won the gun everyone wanted, too!"

Yes, I am a winner. It is official as of 6pm today - when I show up to claim my prize. What is it, you ask? I won a Beretta px4 Storm. if you don't know what that is, I didn't either, but I've been assured that this is a very nice handgun.

The funniest part of the whole thing was our scramble to find the ticket yesterday! And I kid you not, I actually had to go through the trash and found it in a stack of magazines and stuff where it had likely been picked up by accident. Awesome! If they had called today - it would have been gone in the trash this morning! Whew!

1 comment:

Chattyb said...

Looks like a very nice gun. We'll have to have a shoot out or shoot off or "shootum up" when you get here.

You guys need to be prepared to be bested by your gals. Women generally shoot better than guys, at least that's what I've heard. In their late 80's Mom always out shot Dad who played with guns all his life. You can ask your Dad about our "shoot offs."