Monday, August 25, 2008

Settling Catan

We are hooked! Have you ever heard of this game, "The Settlers of Catan"? If not you really need to experience it. A couple of months back some friends of ours, the Andersons, mentioned that they wanted to have us come over to play "Catan." "Sure" we said in that i've-got-no-idea-what-this-is-about-but-i'll-do-most-anything-to-humor-a-friend kind of way.

A couple of weeks passed and I finally was available on a weekend to hang out with the guys. We headed to Steve's house and started getting ready to play Catan. Now, I'll be honest - this game is a little on the complicated side at first (kind of like Katrina was a 'little' on the rainy side). They started throwing down the game board tiles, little monopoly looking game pieces, 2 decks of card, dice, a 'robber' (hard to explain) and partridge in a pear tree. ...Ok, no partridge but there really were a lot of things to keep up with.

The first game was a little like watch foreign films without subtitles: It was interesting and I knew something significant was happening at times but I was otherwise completely lost. But, that is about what it takes to get the hang of it. Game 2 made more sense and was actually really fun. So much so, in fact that I decided to blow a $25 Amazon gift card I'd been sitting on for over a year and buy it myself.

Cheryl was hooked almost immediately - of course, I 'let' her win that 2nd game, but she is actually pretty good at it. It must be genetic; her sister came down and won the first game she played! We've also played it with the singles group we work with at the church and my aunts and mom. So I'm not sure if we are settling Catan or if Catan is settling us!

Try the game - you'll love it!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I absolutely agree with you, Gabe!! Settlers of Catan DID seem quite complicated at first, but being that I'm the sister that came down and won the first game I played....I'd be willing to teach beginners' classes to those needing tutorial help!! (Ha! :-)
All joking aside...this is a fun game and VERY addictive!! :-)

Chattyb said...

It made my brain hurt and my right eye twitch. Sign me up for Karen's tutorial.

Karen said...

Hey...yeah!! Thanks, Betty! I've got my first pupil! Any other takers?? :-)