Monday, March 24, 2008

Instant Replay for Parents

The other day, Cheryl and I were driving along and got to talking about our sweet kiddos who have of late learned how to blame things on the other. I suggested that it would be great if we could just get one of those video monitors - Ya' know the kind they make for infants. Hook that thing up to a DVR and you've got INSTANT REPLAY!


SCENE: Momma walks into room where an argument has broken out.)
Momma: What is going on here?
Isaac: She bit me!
Momma: Julia!
(Julia cries - ENTER NFL Referee...)
Ref: Just a second ma'am; let's check the instant replay.
(a moment later ... Ref steps to center of room and looks up to camera)
Ref: (with echo from the PA...) The initial call ...all ...ll
was intentional biting ...ing ...ng
on number two ...oo ...oo Defense ...ss ...s
Upon review ...ew ...ew
the call was found to be incorrect ...ect ...ect
the call instead will be ...ee ...e
Unnecessary Instigation on number one ...un ...un
Offense ...ss ...s

(The crowd goes wild!)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, that is so funny! Instant Replay...I REALLY could've used that when my boys' were that age! Either that or a padded wall to bang my head on! :-)

Anonymous said...

This post brings back memories: Somewhere just before losing my sanity, I realized that I was not qualified to referee these "sporting events" between my three sons, i.e. boxing, punching, kicking, wrestling, pounding, pummeling, etc. Nor did I possess any ability to see, not the future, but the past. So, instead of picking a side in any dispute, I just stayed completely neutral and whipped everyone in the immediate area or anyone willing to hang around. In this way, I could stay positive and not have to accuse anyone of lying, oh, forgive me--fibbing. I could assume that all were telling the absolute truth. Gabe said Matt did it--Matt got spanked; Matt said no, Gabe did it--Gabe got spanked; Gabe and Matt agreed that Jake started it--Jake got spanked. Now, with all three crying and feeling unjustly punished, I could rest easy knowing that I had uniformly, without prejudice, believed each one and delivered the punishment that each felt the other deserved. This tactic also had the positive effect of bringing the children closer together in their shared despair. However, I cannot say that it was a deterent to future "sporting conflicts." Mom (On second thought, I think I did lose my sanity!)

Cheryl said...

SO FUNNY Betty. Whatever you did, it worked. All 3 boys are wonderful men and I am truly blessed to be married to one of them!